Domaine de La Vitrolle
First a bit of history…
In 1837 it is recorded that there were up to 80 hectares of vines in Limeuil. In the little port where the Vezere joins the Dordogne the wine was loaded onto barges and exported to Bordeaux.
Later, in 1880, there is mention of a smooth wine the ‘Clairet des Pierrailles‘ and also a fruity white wine from the vineyards on the slopes around Limeuil.
In 1984 a native périgourdin businessman, Bertin-Jean Beaugier, took over the Domaine de la Vitrolle and completely renovated it. Being a wine amateur he decided to replant a vineyard on the well exposed slopes of the Vezere valley around Limeuil.The first vines were planted on the site of an old vineyard which had belonged to the Domaine in 1903.
The vineyard has evolved regularly and now covers 8 hectares. The objectives remain the same; to produce high quality, unpretentious wines to reflect Bertin -Jean Beaugier and the historic terroir of La Vitrolle.
The wine was made initially in the cellars below the chateau de la Vitrolle, but to accommodate increased production a modern chai was built in 2000 with designated vinification, storage and sales areas.
The wines evolved as well; from an initial single red were added progessively a second red, a rosé and a dry and medium dry white to complete the range.
For over thirty years our wines have received numerous national and international awards, giving them a well merited place on all good wine lists.